Top Ten Freebies at Walt Disney World
Top 10 Freebies at Walt Disney World
By Anna Trosper
Aug 27, 2015
When and if you have a free day or just some down time from the parks, here are some free and fun things you can do. There is so much more the Walt Disney World than just the parks. It is nice to just slow down and take a look around at all the beauty and details that goes into making Walt Disney World so magical!
- Watch Wishes Fireworks from the Grand Floridian boat dock. Seeing the fireworks refected off the lake is stunning and the restaurant Narcoossee’s is nearby so you can hear the soundtrack of the music played via their speakers.
- Take a ride on the Monorail. A trip to Walt Disney World is not complete without this! You can ride it and get off and check out the Disney Polynesian, Grand Floridian and the Contemporary Resort. This is one of our favorite pass times. Several of the resorts offer tours even if you’re not staying at that resort. But I would call ahead and make sure you don’t need a reservation.
- See the beautiful Animal Kingdom Lodge. There are plenty of viewing areas to watch the animals. The best time to see them is later in the day.
- Check out Disney’s BoardWalk – It comes alive at night with jugglers and old time carnival games. I love to just sit and take it all in and people watch. The lights at night is something to be seen.
- Shop, Eat, Enjoy Disney Springs (formerly known as Downtown Disney) – There is so much to do here, from shopping (not Free) and specialty restaurants(not free), The Lego Imagination Center has play area filled with thousands of LEGO blocks and some amazing Lego sculptures. Be sure to bring you camera! There is also live entertainment and Visit the Ghirardelli Soda Fountain & Chocolate Shop. They give out free samples of chocolate. I can’t keep the kids out of there.
- Take a boat ride- there are several routes to choose from. At select Disney Resort there are boats to take guests to and from different locations of Walt Disney World. You do not have to be staying in that resort to use the boats. It is a nice way to just sit back and enjoy the view. Take the boat that visits the Magic Kingdom, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge and Ft. Wilderness, The Polynesian, and Grand Floridian. Also you could try Port Orleans to Downtown Disney and back. All are very nice and at night can be well very romantic.
- Visit Tri-Circle D Ranch at Ft Wilderness. This is the home of the home of the draft horses used to pull the trolleys down Main Street at the Magic Kingdom. It is set up like an old western town that you can strole around for a while. If you would like, not free but close you can go for an Evening Wagon Ride. Adults are $8 and children (3 to 9) are $5. This is a 45 minute ride and all you have to do is show up with cash. They also have horseback riding for a fee.
- Visit a Butterfly Garden – There are currently two that I know about: at Contemporary Resort, the garden is located on the left side as you walk out the back of the lobby towards the pool; and at Ft. Wilderness, there is one outside the Outpost.
- Sing around the campfire and watch a free Disney movie – Chip’n’Dales Campfire Sing-A-Long at Ft. Wilderness is open to all Walt Disney World resort guests. This starts with a sing-a-long and marshmallow roast. You can bring your own food or buy it from the Chuck wagon. Chip and Dale meet the guests and sign autographs. Then a Disney movie is shown on a large outdoor screen. You can sit on bleachers and benches, or you can lay out a blanket. Port Orleans-Riverside offers a seasonal “Campfire on de’ Bayou” and at Beach Club Resort and at the Grand Floridian Resort a similar outdoor campfire and movie program is offered.
- At night wander along the Polynesian Resorts beach and watch the Electrical Water Pageant and the fireworks over the Magic Kingdom. You can pull up a beach chair and get a drink. It’s all very romantic. The Electrical Water Pageant is my favorite!
This is just a few of the extras that Walt Disney World has to offer. Contact a trained travel agent that knows Disney to help you plan your magical vacation.