20 Can’t Miss Tips, Tricks and Wizarding World Secrets for the Harry Potter Fan!
Walking into the Wizarding World of Harry Potter for the first time can be overwhelming for a Harry Potter Fan. The Wizarding World is one of the most well-themed areas I have ever seen at a theme park. It is very easy to miss things while you’re walking around for the first time as there are so many things to see and such attention to detail. So, here are a few tips. Make some notes so you don’t miss anything!
Some General Tips
- If you are ordering an alcoholic beverage, do not send one person for multiple drinks. They will only serve you one drink per ID.
- There are 2 Ollivander Shops where you can purchase wands. One in Diagon Alley and one in Hogsmeade. The one in Hogsmeade has a show! There is an “Ollivander” and he chooses an audience member to fit for a wand. If you’re chosen you will actually experience what Harry experienced when he walked into Ollivander’s for the first time! (No worries if you already have a wand or don’t want to purchase one; you are not obligated to purchase the wand.)
- Speaking of Ollivander Wands, there are two kinds; interactive and non-interactive. The interactive Wands enable you to do “Magic” at special spots throughout the Wizarding World. There is a gold label on the wand box and you can see the tips are different. You will be provided a map of where the magical locations are. (Check out my video on Ollivander’s for more info!)
- You will need to store your belongings in a locker when you’re riding the Forbidden Journey and Gringott’s rides. They offer free lockers near the entrances to the rides.
Riding the Hogwarts Express
- You’ll need at least a 2 Park, Park to Park ticket to get to ride the Hogwarts Express. The 3 Park, Park to Park ticket is the best value as it includes Volcano Bay, too. (Another fabulously themed area!) The Hogwarts Express picks you up in one park and drops you off in another park.
- Make sure you ride the Hogwarts Express in BOTH directions as it is a totally different view between the two stations.
- At King’s Cross Station, as you are walking through the line, make sure to keep an eye out for muggles and wizards disappearing through platform 9 ¾! There is a special illusion there, a little further back that you can look through and it appears that people are actually walking through the wall.
PHOTO TIP: Have someone stand back while you walk through so they can take your picture and then switch off. (This may not work for everyone, but if the line isn’t bad, it’s doable!)
- If you’re in Diagon Alley on a hot day, duck into Knockturn Alley to cool off! It truly feels like it’s teeming with Dark Magic.
- Speaking of Knockturn Alley, you can find Draco’s Vanishing Cabinet at Borgin and Burkes. If you get close you can feel the flutter of the birds wings and hear the bird chirp in the vanishing cabinet!
- You can visit the House of Black at 12 Grimmauld Place. If you’re patient, you can catch Kreature peeking out of the window.
- At the Wizard Money Exchange, you can exchange your Muggle Money for Wizard Money which can be spent in the Wizarding World. (Available in denominations of $10 & $20.) You can even chat with the interactive Goblin!
- Ministry of Magic Phone Booth, Dial Magic (62442) to be patched through to the Ministry of Magic!
- Talk to the (interactive!) shrunken head in the Knight Bus outside Kings Cross. Make sure to walk around back look inside too!
- Check out the sign above the Leaky Cauldron – it actually leaks!
- There is a little alley to the side of the Magical Menagerie of Pets. Go down the alley and check out the snake in the window. You might get the opportunity to practice your Parseltongue…
- Getting a Butterbeer in Hogsmeade?
Go to the butter beer cart near the entrance to Hogsmeade by the castle. It’s less crowded. Sometimes people don’t notice that there are 2 lines and it tends to be shorter on the side by the entrance.
- On the way out of Hogsmeade Station, you can see one of the carriages that take the students to Hogwarts. If you listen carefully, you can hear the thestrals!
- You can hear Moaning Myrtle in the bathrooms outside 3 Broomsticks at Hogsmeade.
- 2 shows take place in Hogsmeade – The Hogwarts Choir and The Triwizard Pep Rally. (The times are available in the times guide)
- You can see Hagrid’s Hut by the Flight of the Hippogriff ride.
Check out my “20 Tips” video below – make sure to like and subscribe!!!
If you’d like more travel tips and tricks, follow me on social media Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest! For information on booking Universal, or any other destination, please email me at Christina@WishesFamilyTravel.com.